Home | About | Forums | Links | Contact | LR X-treme | Video | RSS
Daily e-mail updates from
Libertarian Republican.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Glenn Reynolds: Will the GOP get smart and become the party of lowering the drinking age?

A lot of "libertarian-leaning Republicans in the Senate - Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio" who could get a lot of mileage out of 21 drinking age repeal

Editorial, (Instapundit) Glenn Reynolds, from the NYPost, "The ‘Footloose’ Fix -- How Republicans can get cool":
Republicans do badly with young voters, and one of the main reasons is that they’re seen as uncool. This is probably unfair — it’s not Republicans who are imposing college speech codes on students — but it’s the perception... get rid of the federally mandated 21-year-old drinking age. Introduced by Republicans (it was spearheaded by Elizabeth Dole) in the 1980s, it was always a lousy idea. 
The result has been more, not less, alcohol abuse on campus, as student drinkers have moved from public venues, where there was supervision, to dorm rooms and frat houses, where there’s less. 
And it’s fundamentally unfair. At 18, people can sign contracts, get married and sign up for student loans that will haunt them for decades. They can join the military and go off to die in foreign lands. But federal law presumes they’re too immature to have a beer. (Emphasis added.)
There are a lot of opportunities along these lines, and a smart, young, libertarian-leaning Republican in the Senate — like, say, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio — could get a lot of mileage out of seizing them, both personally and in terms of brightening the GOP image.
Editor's comment - Never ceases to amaze me, how so many libertarians would rather talk about a silly issue like gay marriage when it comes to the social side of the equation, yet seem totally un-interested in far more important issues like repealing seat belt laws and lowering the drinking age, that touch far more individuals lives. How many so-called "libertarian" websites for example, outside of this one, that ever talk about the drinking age, and seat belt issues?

14 comments:

Chuck said...

He makes a compelling case. It's nakedly partisan and a great wedge issue. I'm on board.

Eric Dondero said...

that's because you're a TRUE libertarian Chuck, not one of these posers pretend libertarians who thinks liberty is about two gay dudes being able to suck off the government tit by getting a piece of paper saying their "married."

Chuck said...

It's much larger than that. This "gay marriage" farce is about 1% of society exerting dominion over the other 99%. It's tyrannical. The scum of the left champion this grotesque fraud precisely because it's an attack of civil society.

M. Simon said...

Medical Marijuana prohibition is a crime against humanity and a violation of the religious precept - heal the sick.

The endocannabinoid system is a major regulator in the body implicated in almost all diseases including cancer. There are patients who can't wait. Please help.

====

I'd be happier about a repeal of Prohibition. On humanitarian grounds.

====

Chuck - you have it backwards - it is about is about 99% of society exerting dominion over the other 1%. No one should be exercising dominion. Get the state out of marriage. Either recognize all marriages or none of them.

That simplifies things considerably.

M. Simon said...

BTW It is my understanding that gay men are not big on sucking off tits.

Chuck said...

"Medical Marijuana prohibition is a crime against humanity"

Fuck you, junkie.

". No one should be exercising dominion.""Either recognize all marriages or none of them."

In other words, forcibly order the civil society that invented marriage (and government) to be compelled to pretend that any relationship imagined by any degenerate is marriage thus destroying said society's primary building block for the sake of nothing more noble than destruction.

You vermin are the scum of this earth. You can't die soon enough.




Chuck said...

" it is about is about 99% of society exerting dominion over the other 1%. No one should be exercising dominion."

So elections should be eliminated then, you demented, drug addled fucking animal?

Eric Dondero said...

It's also about gays trying to denigrate heterosexual marriage.

They just want to poke heteros in the eye.

My marriage doesn't mean anything if anybody can marry anybody. It takes away the specialness of my marriage to my wife.

So, what's the point?

Chuck said...

If your marriage means anything, it can't be broken.

Your country's government can attack the institution of marriage, though. How? By saying it means anything and nothing.

The dumbest of the dumb support such tyranny with glee.

Can a man marry his daughter? If the degenerates among us get their way, yes he can.

M. Simon said...

Well OK Eric. If your marriage to your wife is not special because of what other people do I pity you.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson

The only reason marriage matters is because of the income tax. Perhaps you have picked the wrong target.

And if you really care about the state of marriage shouldn't your first focus be divorce?

=====

This site is becoming more Republican than Libertarian. And The Republican brand is dying.

You know it yourself. There is a huge "libertarians out of the party" movement.

What you are left with is the socons like Chuck who can't stand this fact:

The endocannabinoid system is a major regulator in the body implicated in almost all diseases including cancer.

=====

Well. I'm taking the advice of my Republican friends. I am now a libertarian independent. My views haven't changed, just my party affiliation. And I will work with any candidate who will work to repeal prohibition.

Medical Marijuana prohibition is a crime against humanity and a violation of the religious precept - heal the sick.

And I'm sure Chuck thinks of himself as a Christian. Good. I'm not. Jeffrey Kahn used to be my Rabbi. Look him up. He has a clinic open in DC.

And this might interest you as to the future of the Republicans.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/12/05/with-young-voters-republicans-must-give-up-on-social-issues-or-give-up-altogether-poll-data-suggests/

and this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/magazine/can-the-republicans-be-saved-from-obsolescence.html

The Times interviews a lot of Republicans for the article. It is not their usual left wing hit job on the right. It also agrees with Glenn Beck's "Blaze"

Let me quote from the Times. Quoting a Republican operative:

And this is what kills them, because conservatives always look at young voters like the hot girl they could never date.” He read aloud from the text: “1.25 million more young people supported Obama in 2012 over 2008.”


M. Simon said...

Here is another one:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/12/09/george-will-says-opposition-to-gay-marriage-is-dying-find-out-why/

From the article:

“The question is not whether gay people should be married or not, the question is why is the government involved in our marriage,” Beck said, reframing the question in a manner that suggested the former question could not be resolved to social conservatives’ satisfaction.

Now, as yet another sign that conservative opinion makers are moving away from a hard line stance on the issue, conservative columnist George Will stated, in no uncertain terms, that opposition to gay marriage was on its way out as a potent political force. At the same time, Will expressed doubts as to whether this phenomenon would prevail upon the Supreme Court to rule for or against the practice when it takes up the question of gay marriage early next year.

“This decision by the Supreme Court came 31 days after an election day in which three states, for the first time, endorsed same-sex marriage at the ballot box. Never happened before. Maine, Maryland, and Washington. Now, the question is, how will that influence the court? It could make them say ‘it’s not necessary for us to go here.’

======

You used to be good at reading the tea leaves Eric. What happened?

Chuck said...

This site is becoming more Republican than Libertarian. And The Republican brand is dying.

You're a stupid cliche. Must be the drugs.

M. Simon said...

Chuck,

Can I add you to the anti-science wing of the Republican Party?

The endocannabinoid system is a major regulator in the body implicated in almost all diseases including cancer.

====

Rabbi Jeffrey Kahn

====

Dying does not mean dead Chuck.

“1.25 million more young people supported Obama in 2012 over 2008.”

The trends are not in your favor.

The Libertarians took 9 down ticket races from the Republicans.

humanevents.com/2012/11/26/did-libertarian-party-cost-gop-9-races/

The writing is on the wall. The social conservative party is on the skids. The Libertarians are the kingmakers.

Perhaps turning politics into a religion does not work as well as it used to. I believe the Bible warns about such things.

No Religion - on the rise

Well you have a very nice day Chuck. And don't let drugs make you stupid. They seem to have that effect on a lot of people who don't use them.

73 Percent of Voters Think Medical Marijuana Should be Legal, Half think Recreational Pot Should Be Too.

I can understand being against. What I don't get is the anger. Anger makes you stupid. It clouds the judgment.

And you know - I really don't care what you call me. If that is the best you can do you will not be winning many arguments.

In fact if you look at the numbers you are losing the arguments.

M. Simon said...

From the above poll link:

Young Americans are much more open to reform, about 59 percent of Americans under 34 favor legalization, as do 56 percent among those 35-44. Middle-aged Americans are evenly split, while seniors are most opposed 64 percent to 29 percent in favor. However, even a majority of seniors (58 percent) favor medical marijuana prescribed by a doctor.

Religiosity highly correlates with position on drug legalization. Sixty-seven percent of those who attend church weekly oppose legalizing recreational pot, but 58 percent support medical marijuana. In contrast 75 percent of those who never attend church favor marijuana legalization, as do 61 percent of those who only attend church a few times a year.

The gender gap emerges for recreational but not medical marijuana. Fifty-two percent of men favor legalizing recreational pot, and 52 percent of women oppose.

Interestingly, significantly more tea party supporters than Republicans favor legalizing marijuana (38 percent to 27 percent). Upwards of 55 percent fo both Democrats and Independents also support legalizing the drug.